from Kate
(I got this recipe from Good Housekeeping and tweaked it a little)
This soup tastes like the Wisconsin cheddar at Zupa's that I love!
2 tablespoons(1/4 stick) butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 bag of frozen, chopped cauliflower (1-1.5 lbs)
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (add more to your taste)
(try using half pepper jack for a little spice)
DIRECTIONS
In 4-quart saucepan, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and 1 cup water (less if you prefer it super creamy); add cauliflower and heat to boiling over med-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
In blender (with center part of blender cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend cauliflower mixture at low speed in small batches until very smooth.
Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally.
Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Garnish soup with extra cheese to serve.
*Serve with soft, warm french bread.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Wisconsin Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
This soup was really good, I baisically made it the same except I used 2 tsp of chicken base with 1 cup water (I don't buy chicken broth, but it's basically the same thing), added about a tsp. of minced garlic (I add garlic to evertything, I know I am a bit of a weirdo), sprinkled it with garlic powder, and added a few dashes of pepper. Kate, great recipe, one way to trick Kaitlyn to eat more vegies without her knowing it!
Post a Comment